- 3/4 cup organic brown rice
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1/2 cup chopped organic celery
- 3/4 cup chopped baby portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ginger root powder
- 1/2 teaspoon himalayan pink salt
Fluffy Rice Instructions
- Add olive oil to a deep dish frying pan and bring to medium high heat. Once hot, tip the pan side to side to evenly coat the oil.
- Add in and stir the onions until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Next, stir in the brown rice. Sizzle and stir for about 5 minutes until the rice becomes very lightly browned.
- Stir in the salt, garlic, celery and ginger powder. Continue to stir, making sure all spices are evenly distributed with the rice, about 3 minutes.
- Now add in purified water to about half an inch ABOVE the rice and allow it to cook. Give it a couple more stirs to evenly distribute the water with the rice. This will be the LAST time you stir. Bring down the heat medium and cover.
- Remember, DO NOT STIR THE RICE. This is the most important tip at this point for the fluffiest rice. Just allow the rice to cook.
- After about 15 or 20 minutes, the water will get low. Once you can’t see the water, simply spill in a little at a time at each side but DO NOT EXCEED the rice line! Enough water should only be added to cover the bottom of the pan. This creates a steaming effect for the rice and gives it that fluffy texture. Do this once or twice, just until the rice is almost done.
- When the rice is almost cooked, top with the mushrooms but do NOT stir them in. Keep covered and allow the mushrooms to cook and steam for another 3-5 minutes. They will shrink and nestle into rice during this time.
- Once the rice is fluffy and fully cooked, remove from heat and keep it covered to steam off any remaining water into the rice.
- Your done! Makes about 6-8 servings.
by Lupita Ronquillo, holistic nutrition writer