The Importance of Green Juices and Smoothies
Why is it so hard for people to enjoy eating greens and why is it that choosing an apple or carrot as a snack considered boring?? From an early age, we are brought up to rely on processed food so the desire for whole healthier food is sadly diminished and lost. We’ve become addicted to packaged and convenience food loaded with added sugars to get us through the day. By the time we’re adults, we have to “re-learn” how to eat real food. Raw juices and smoothies can be that first step in getting back to our natural foods.
One of nature’s most nutritious foods are raw greens. They contain more nutrients than any other food group. On the flip side, what makes them so nutritious is their make up of cellulose, one of the toughest molecular structures on earth. The question to ask, is could we really eat enough greens every day?
To access raw and live nutrients at optimal levels from greens such as kale, chard, collards, and carrots, plant walls need to be broken down fully. Fortunately for us, juicing and blending can shred these walls more efficiently than we can. This is why adding raw juices and smoothies to our diet can greatly improve our health. They provide concentrated live nutrients, protective phytochemicals, and loads of fiber! With so much modern day pollution all around us today, we actually need more than the minimum recommendation of fruits and vegetables. With juicing and smoothies, we can easily exceed the minimum. Drinking them can be the boost we need today to rebuild our health, our immunity, give us vitality, and destroy free radicals to protect our health.
Some Tips for Juicing and Smoothies:
- Smoothies provide you everything from plants: concentrated nutrients and fiber.
- Green smoothies can replace a meal such as dinner since they contain protein.
- Juicing can work as a supplement to your diet since they’re concentrated in nutrients, phytochemicals, and live enzymes.
- Make sure to rotate your greens if your juicing everyday, especially on juice fasts.
- Always use more vegetables than fruit for juices to limit the glycemic effects and to increase alkalinity in our body.
- You only need 1 juice and 1 smoothie per day unless your fasting.
Juice Fasting Ground Rules
Digestion is a big job for our body, especially when most of us eat at least 3 times a day! Our digestive organs are constantly working so imagine giving them a break while still getting lots of nutrients! What do you think our body would do if it had a little rest?? Our body will do amazing things and is designed to repair itself if we give it the chance! Here are my recommendations for a healthy break and detox:
- Don’t fast for more than 3 days in a row unless supervised by a physician as your blood pressure can drop too fast. After 3 days, the metabolism can slow down significantly too and your craving for food can vanish.
- For a much longer and safer detox period, just go raw!
- Juice fasts should be done as a jump start to clean eating and health, not as a quick fix for weight loss. Our mindset should be for the long term, not just for quick results.
- Juice fasting helps to reset a desensitized palate, helps the liver remove toxins & heavy metals, as well as tame estrogen dominance.
- Don’t forget to drink water to flush out toxins that are loosened up. Juices have water so you don’t need to drink a lot. A few glasses a day would be ideal.
- Make sure to get enough calories and nutrients by drinking enough juices.
- Go easy on activities or better yet, get plenty of rest instead.
- Check yourself for extreme fatigue. If needed, allow yourself one smoothie or an allotment of fruit to get you through your fast. Including a few servings of raw fruits loaded with water such as grapefruits, oranges, watermelon, and grapes won’t interfere with the detoxification process and at best, will boost your energy and strengthen your metabolism. Its more important to listen to your body than to aim for perfection.
- Be prepared and stock up on groceries before you start. Make sure to include a wide variety of greens and not just fruits.
- Use your days off such as Friday through Sunday to fast.
- If at any time during the fast you experience a noticeable drop in blood pressure or vomiting, stop fasting and see your doctor.
Needing some new raw juicing and smoothies recipes? Click on the Raw Juices or Raw Smoothies pic over to the right of this page. You can also visit our Raw Juicing and Smoothies page on Facebook!