Real Ingredients Make A Difference!
We don’t need mechanically changed or processed ingredients to make delicious recipes or to get the flavors and textures we want because its amazing what REAL food can do! Once we start experimenting with food in its whole and natural state, we will start to see all the potential our food actually has such as with bananas, soaked chia seeds or cashews. When we allow ourselves to break free from the “established” ways of cooking and instead start to think of how we can combine food, then we can appreciate REAL food.
When we compare “traditional” ingredients used to make a strawberry cream pie to the ingredients in this one, you’ll see a dramatic difference because most dessert cream pies require refined SUGAR as a main ingredient. Some of them even request artificially flavored powdered puddings to be added in for setting purposes. Then comes the popular cream cheese request, which only provides unwanted fat, cholesterol and unhealthy preservatives. But after all of that has gotten mixed in, how are we to even taste the FRUIT these recipes are named for with such an overwhelming call for acidic ingredients?
We need to realize that these processed ingredients only highjack our taste buds and ruin our health. Sugar, fat, and cholesterol all feed cancer cells and promote heart disease and diabetes. Cancer cell walls are actually MADE of cholesterol but if we’re eating a plant based diet, cancer can’t grow because plants don’t have cholesterol. So don’t wait till your diagnosed with disease to CHANGE your ingredients, change them now and start with some pie! 😉
- 3 cups organic strawberries, stemmed and thawed
- 1- 16 ounce container coconut milk yogurt, unsweetened
- 3/4 cup raw cashew pieces, soaked in water for 1 hour
- 1 medium very ripe banana, (lots of brown spots)
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk, unsweetened and lite
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds, soaked in 1/3 cup water
- 2 packets stevia sweetener
- 1/4 cup dried shredded coconut
- 1- 9″ gluten free pie shell
- Start by soaking the cashews and chia seeds in separate containers since we won’t be using the water from the cashews. Stir the soaking chia seeds to prevent lumps and to promote even absorption of the water. Let soak for about an hour.
- Start by blending the coconut milk, yogurt, and cashews first to create that creamy base. This will make the rest of the blending easier too.
- Blend in the rest of the ingredients (strawberries, banana, lime juice, vanilla extract, chia seeds, and stevia) until everything is incorporated and smooth. This could take a few minutes or pulses.
- Pour the strawberry cream into the 9″ pie shell. Top with shredded dried coconut shreds and sliced strawberries. You can be creative and top or decorate your pie with any other berries if you prefer.
- Freeze for about 2 hours to mold and set. 😀
by Lupita Ronquillo, holistic nutrition writer